Ralph Delius is a medical professional in Detroit Michigan focusing on Pediatrics and Cardiovascular Surgery.
With extensive knowledge and experience in the medical field, Ralph Delius stands as an Attending Physician as well as an Associate Professor. He currently works as an Associate Professor of Surgery at Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit, a position he has held since 2001. Previously, he worked as an Assistant and Associate Professor for the following institutions:
- 1998-2001: Associate Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery at The University of California Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, California
- 1995-1998: Assistant Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery at The University of Iowa College of Medicine in Iowa City, IA
Ralph E. Delius also currently stands as an Attending Physician in the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery at the Children’s Hospital of Michigan.
Throughout his medical career, he has focused his research and education on a few specific areas including:
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
- Pathophysiology of Cardiopulmonary Bypass
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Congenital Heart Surgery
- Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care
Before establishing his career, Ralph Delius achieved a long list of accomplishments in his education, training, and board certifications.
He first completed his Bachelor’s degree in 1980 at California State University in Northridge, CA. He then went on to complete his M.D. at the University of California in Davis, CA, graduating in 1984.
Upon completing his graduate studies, he completed extensive post-grad training to include:
- 1984-1985: Intern of General Surgery at Ohio State University Hospitals in Columbus, Ohio
- 1985-1989: Resident of General Surgery at the University of Michigan Hospitals in Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1989-1991: Clinical ECMO Fellowship & Cell Biology Research Fellowship at the University of Michigan Hospitals in Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1991-1992: Fellow of Cardiac Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts
- 1992-1994: Resident of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University of Iowa College of Medicine in Iowa City, IA
- 1994-1995: Senior Registrar of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children in London, England
Ralph Delius MD holds the following Board Certifications:
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery (Subspeciality)
- Congenital Cardiac Surgery
In addition to his roles as a physician and associate professor, he is also a member and affiliate of a number of professional societies which include:
- American Heart Association
- American College of Surgeons
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Sacramento Surgical Society
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Association of Thoracic Surgery
- Congenital Heart Surgeons Society
Over the course of his career, training, and studies, Ralph E. Delius has also been recognized for his achievements with numerous honors and awards to include:
- 1982 – March of Dimes Medical Student Summer Research Fellowship
- 1983 – Achievement Award for Excellence in Pathology
- 1984 – Morton Leavitt Research Award
He has also completed an extensive number of publications, abstracts, books and chapters, presentations, and beyond in relation to his specialties and focus areas.
Beyond his professional career, Ralph Delius maintains a variety of hobbies and interests that include travel, hiking, and golf.
Ralph has enjoyed the sport of golf for many years, both as a player and spectator of professional tournaments. Some of his favorite golf tournaments taking place all across the globe include:
- The Masters
- The U.S. Open
- The British Open
- The PGA Championship
Golf is a wonderful sport that allows you to challenge both your body and mind. It is a game of mental toughness and physical ability yet it can be played by individuals of all ages. Ralph loves golf because of its versatility and atmosphere. He loves going out on the course on warm summer days to spend time with friends, enjoy a little friendly competition, and improve his own game.
He also enjoys hiking as a way to get outside and take a break from the fast paced city life and professional world. It is a way for him to relax and reflect on life while admiring nature’s breathtaking beauty.
Some of his favorite hiking trails around the world include:
- The Grand Canyon, Arizona
- Glacier Piedras Blancas, Patagonia, Argentina
- Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, Africa
- The Classic Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, Peru
- Kalalau Trail, Kauai, Hawaii
With extensive hiking experience, Ralph provides the following tips and words of advice for other individuals interested in the sport:
- Carry plenty of water. Drink frequently to keep hydrated.
- Invest in comfortable hiking shoes that will allow you to explore different types of terrain while keeping your feet warm, dry, and blister-free.
- Only pack the essentials so as to not leave your backpack too heavy to carry especially during long, arduous hikes.
- Bring snacks like nuts and berries that will keep up your energy throughout the hike.
- If the terrain begins to get uneven or tough, use a hiking stick to create better stability and balance.
While Ralph E. Delius has traveled across the United States and other parts of the world for his professional career, he also enjoys traveling for recreation.
Canada has always been one of his all time favorite travel destinations since he was a kid, visiting numerous cities and sites throughout the country. He has also enjoyed exploring many other distinct areas of the world such as:
- Barcelona, Spain
Barcelona is well known for its beach scene and unique culture and attractions. Parc Guell, designed by Antoni Gaudi is a favorite spot for Ralph as well as the historical Sagrada Familia.
- Bangkok, Thailand
Ralph Delius MD loves visiting Thailand for the unique cuisine complete with sweet and spicy food found all around in food stands and restaurants.
- Siem Reap, Cambodia
This beautiful Cambodian city is a great place for adventurers and travelers like Ralph. One of the most well known attractions is a Buddhist temple from the 12th century known as Angkor Wat. It is the largest religious monument in the world.
- Kyoto, Japan
Kyoto has a royal history with many popular sites that include Kyoto Gosho Palace as well as the Kamogawa River. He enjoys exploring the beautiful Zen gardens along with quaint neighborhoods and unique artisan shops.
Check out Ralph Delius on his Google Site to learn more about his travel excursions.